Tenderstem® with toasted sweet sesame sauce
This Japanese-style Tenderstem® is a quick and easy side dish that makes a delicious accompaniment to chicken or fish.
Recipe created by food blogger, Food to Glow (kelliesfoodtoglow.com)
5 mins preparation
5 mins cooking
Serves 2 (as a side dish)
- 300g Tenderstem®
- 45g lightly-toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil or warm water, to loosen the sauce
- Salt or sugar, to taste
- 1 tsp lightly-toasted white sesame seeds
- Crunchy fried onion or shallot pieces, optional
Steam the Tenderstem® for three minutes.
While the Tenderstem® is steaming, use a pestle and mortar to grind the 45g of toasted sesame seeds to a rough paste. Then add the sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil or water and grind to a nearly smooth sauce. Add a little more sesame oil or water if necessary. Taste, and adjust with salt or sugar if you wish.
Add the steamed Tenderstem® to a warmed serving bowl and carefully toss through the sauce.
Sprinkle over the reserved sesame seeds and crunchy onions. Serve warm.