Donal Skehan’s Maple & Coriander Chicken with Grilled Tenderstem®
This delicious chicken recipe by Donal Skehan combines sweet and sour flavours to give your chicken a tasty kick.
Combining soy sauce, apple vinegar cider and a warm sweet maple syrup cascaded over butterfly chicken breasts with a side of Tenderstem®, this dish is the ultimate speedy supper.
10 min preparation
10 min cooking
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for brushing
- 4 chicken breasts, butterflied & bashed until ½cm in thickness
- 250g Tenderstem®
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp apple juice
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Large handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Heat a large griddle pan over a medium heat, brush with oil and butter and arrange the Tenderstem® across the base. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and allow to char for approximately 4 minutes either side or until tender when pierced with a fork and each piece has deep char marks. If you would prefer your Tenderstem® even more tender, add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Bash the chicken and season generously with sea salt and ground black pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on both sides until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add another drop of oil to the pan if required and add the onion and fry for about 5 minutes. Then pour in the vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, mustard and apple juice and heat until the sauce is bubbling. Reduce the sauce until slightly thickened.
- Stir through the coriander and return the chicken and the Tenderstem® to the pan, basting in the sauce. Once the chicken and Tenderstem® are both warmed through, transfer them to a warmed plate and pour the sauce over to serve.