Tenderstem® & Beef Lomo Saltado
15 minutes preparation
1 hour cooking
A delicious recipe all the way from Peru for you to try out.
For the Lomo Saltado
- 8oz sirloin steak, cut in bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 sweet potato, cut in 1.5 cm cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 250g Tenderstem®
- ½ large fresh chilli (or 1 small), seeded and finely sliced
- ½ medium red onion, cut in thick slices
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp beef stock
- 150g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 spring onion, cut in 1.5cm pieces
- Handful coriander leaves
For the Tenderstem® rice (optional accompaniment):
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100g brown basmati rice
- 600ml water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pack Tenderstem® cut in 1-inch pieces
- 90g sweet corn
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- In a bowl, mix the steak pieces with salt, pepper and crushed garlic. Cover and set aside.
- Put the sweet potato cubes on a baking tray, season with salt and mix with 3 tbsp of the olive oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes. You will know they are ready when you can easily pierce them with a fork but they still hold their shape.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, steam the Tenderstem® for 3-4 minutes. You want it to be tender but still have a bite. Remove from the pan immediately and put in a bowl with iced water to stop it cooking further.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Cook the beef quickly, stirring until it browns. Add the chilli and onion, stir and add the red wine vinegar and stock. Let it simmer for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, Tenderstem® and spring onion, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Turn the heat off and sprinkle with roasted sweet potato cubes and coriander leaves.
- Serve covered in its juices and, if desired, with rice on the side.
- Tenderstem® Rice (optional accompaniment) While the sweet potato cubes are in the oven, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the brown rice and stir, making sure every grain is covered in oil. Add the water, bring to a boil, season with salt, turn the heat to low and cover. Cook for 25 minutes. Add the Tenderstem® pieces and the corn, stir well and cook for an extra 5-8 minutes. Drain any excess water and serve.
Nutrition information for Tenderstem® is based on lab analysis of the raw product commissioned by Tenderstem®. Please note, nutrition may vary due to origin, methods of storage and preparation, and freshness.
Nutrition analysis of recipes featured on the Tenderstem® website is calculated by a registered dietitian using McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods, Seventh Edition, but may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. Analyses do not include optional ingredients or suggested accompaniments unless specific amounts are given. If there is a range in the amount of an ingredient, the smaller amount is used. When a recipe lists a choice of ingredients, the first is used.