Tenderstem® breakfast burritos
30 mins cooking
Start your day with a fiesta of flavour and give your morning a Mexican twist with these Tenderstem® breakfast burritos.
This vegetarian recipe is perfect as a crowd-pleasing brunch for friends, lay out all the ingredients and let everyone build their own!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 400g borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of one lime
- Half a red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 200g Tenderstem®
- 4 plain tortilla wraps
- 100g baby spinach, washed and dried
- 50g of cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Start by making the beans. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and add the chopped shallots. Sweat for around 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the drained beans to the pan along with the ground cumin and paprika. Stir and crumble over the stock cube. Stir in the tomato puree and 100ml of cold water, then mix thoroughly and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper and add the chopped parsley.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4.
- Make the guacamole by chopping the avocado into cubes and mixing with the lime juice and chopped chilli. Season with salt and pepper and add the fresh coriander.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes to warm them up.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat, toss the Tenderstem® in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and place in the hot pan. Turn the stems for 2-3 minutes until they’re lightly charred.
- To serve, lay the tortillas out and divide the spinach between each, followed by the beans, grilled Tenderstem® and guacamole. Sprinkle over the cheese if using, then fold over the edges of the tortilla and serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition information for Tenderstem® is based on lab analysis of the raw product commissioned by Tenderstem®. Please note, nutrition may vary due to origin, methods of storage and preparation, and freshness.
Nutrition analysis of recipes featured on the Tenderstem® website is calculated by a registered dietitian using McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods, Seventh Edition, but may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. Analyses do not include optional ingredients or suggested accompaniments unless specific amounts are given. If there is a range in the amount of an ingredient, the smaller amount is used. When a recipe lists a choice of ingredients, the first is used.