Tenderstem® with Chillied Bacon Lardons, Mozzarella & Basil Dressing
5 minutes preparation
10 minutes cooking
Here, the saltiness of the crisp bacon plays well with the soft mozzarella and the flavour of the Tenderstem® brings balance.
Ideally you want to cook this in a non-stick or heavy based frying pan, you will need one with a lid.
- 300g Tenderstem®
- 100g smoked bacon or pancetta lardons (or simply cut lardons/batons from thick-cut streaky bacon)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Half a red chilli, finely sliced (or use a few pinches of hot chilli flakes)
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 mozzarella (if you can find it, try buffalo mozzarella)
- Heat up the frying pan and add the bacon and ½ teaspoon of the oil. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring often, until the bacon becomes a little crispy. Add the chilli and cook for another 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon and chilli from the pan onto a warm plate, keeping the tasty fats in the pan.
- Add the Tenderstem® to the pan and toss it to coat with the pan fats (making it even more delicious) and cook for 30 seconds on high heat to colour a little. Carefully add 4 tablespoons (60ml) of hot water to the pan (measure them into a cup beforehand to make this easier) and immediately put the lid on. If the pan is very hot steam will escape so do be a little careful. Cook over a moderate high heat for 1½ minutes with the lid on. Ideally the Tenderstem® broccoli will still have some crunch to it.
- While the Tenderstem® is cooking, place the basil with the remaining olive oil in a small jar and give it a shake with the lid on (or mix in a small bowl). Add the lemon juice and soy sauce and shake again.
- Cut each mozzarella into six slices.
- Once the Tenderstem® is cooked pile it onto 4 warmed plates, interleaving it with the mozzarella, then spoon the chillied bacon over that. Shake the dressing one more time and drizzle it over the mozzarella.
Nutrition information for Tenderstem® is based on lab analysis of the raw product commissioned by Tenderstem®. Please note, nutrition may vary due to origin, methods of storage and preparation, and freshness.
Nutrition analysis of recipes featured on the Tenderstem® website is calculated by a registered dietitian using McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods, Seventh Edition, but may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. Analyses do not include optional ingredients or suggested accompaniments unless specific amounts are given. If there is a range in the amount of an ingredient, the smaller amount is used. When a recipe lists a choice of ingredients, the first is used.