Miso Butter Tenderstem® & Pan-Fried Aubergine
This Japanese-inspired side dish provides a delicious hit of umami flavour thanks to its tasty miso butter dressing. Serve it alongside a simple main dish for a dinner to impress.
Recipe created by food blogger, Food to Glow (kelliesfoodtoglow.com)
15 mins preparation
10 mins cooking
- 250-300g Tenderstem®
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium aubergine
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp brown or white miso
- 1/2-1 tsp Japanese 7-spice blend (see below), optional
For the 7-spice blend:
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns (or 2 tbsp. of black peppercorns)
- 1/2 tbsp yuzu powder (available online or at specialist shops) or dried orange peel
- 1/2-1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp powdered nori seaweed OR a thin strip from a sheet of nori, finely ground (found with sushi making ingredients)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
Blend the spice blend ingredients in a spice grinder, pestle and mortar or small food processor. Set aside. You will be using ½ to 1 tsp of this mix. Store the remainder in a lidded jar.
Blend the softened butter, miso and ½ to 1 tsp of Japanese 7-spice in a small bowl.
Cut the aubergine into thin slices and sauté gently in the oil until lightly golden, turning with tongs to cook evenly.
While the aubergine is cooking, steam the Tenderstem® for 2 minutes. Add the Tenderstem® to the sauté pan with the aubergine, followed by the miso butter, tossing gently. Serve warm.