Donal Skehan’s Charred Tenderstem® with Smoky Romesco Sauce & Toasted Almonds
- 500g Tenderstem®
- 2tbsp Olive oil
- 1tbsp Butter
- 4tbsp Flaked almonds, toasted
- 250g Ricotta
- 4-6 Slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Sea salt
For the Romesco Sauce
- 50g Blanched almonds, toasted
- 50g Skinless hazelnuts, toasted
- 6 Garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Slice of stale white bread, torn up (crusts are perfect)
- 1/2 Red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Large tomato, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 90g Roasted red peppers from a jar
- Good handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Prepare the romesco sauce by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and blitzing until they are combined but still have texture. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
Heat a large griddle pan over a medium heat. Brush the Tenderstem® with oil and butter and arrange across the base of the pan. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and allow to char for approximately 4 minutes either side until tender and each piece has deep char marks. If you would prefer your Tenderstem even more tender, add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid for 1-2 minutes.
Spread each slice of sourdough toast with ricotta and top with charred Tenderstem®, romesco sauce and toasted almonds.
Serve while the Tenderstem® is still warm.