Spanish Baked Paella with Prawns, Tenderstem® & Peppers
5 minutes preparation
50 minutes cooking
This Spanish classic doesn’t need much to remind you why you fell in love with it in the first place.
Colourful, easy, and mildly spiced with saffron.
- A pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g cooking chorizo, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 red peppers chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g white rice, ideally paella rice, or if not basmati is good
- 450ml chicken stock
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 300g Tenderstem®, each stem cut into 2
- 300g raw king prawns
- A small bunch of flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6. Sprinkle the saffron threads into a small heatproof glass or bowl and pour over 2 tablespoons of boiling water. Set aside to infuse.
- Add the oil to a large heavy based heatproof casserole and set over a medium high heat. When it is hot, add the chorizo, onions and peppers and fry together for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until they are a little coloured at the edges.
- Reduce the heat a little before stirring through the garlic and rice. Fry for a couple of minutes, making sure all the rice grains are well coated in the juices. Pour in the stock, and saffron, along with its soaking water, stirring well to mix. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover with a tight fitting lid or snuggly tucked piece of foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Blanch the Tenderstem® in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Remove the paella from the oven, stir through the Tenderstem® and prawns and most of the parsley, recover and return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes, until the prawns are pink and cooked and the Tenderstem® cooked but with a little bite. Serve immediately, with a little extra parsley scattered on top and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Why not also try...
Replace the prawns with an equal quantity of leftover roast chicken for an easy Monday night supper.
Nutrition information for Tenderstem® is based on lab analysis of the raw product commissioned by Tenderstem®. Please note, nutrition may vary due to origin, methods of storage and preparation, and freshness.
Nutrition analysis of recipes featured on the Tenderstem® website is calculated by a registered dietitian using McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods, Seventh Edition, but may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. Analyses do not include optional ingredients or suggested accompaniments unless specific amounts are given. If there is a range in the amount of an ingredient, the smaller amount is used. When a recipe lists a choice of ingredients, the first is used.