Roasted Tenderstem® , Red Pepper & Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
30 minutes preparation
1 hour cooking
The filling is encased in a pastry which is robust enough to be sliced and handled without crumbling, making it suitable for serving as finger food at parties and buffets.
Recipe courtesy of Sharon: http://bitofthegoodstuff.com/
It’s dairy-free and egg-free, so perfect for your vegan friends and family. The recipe is also nut-free, so anyone with nut allergies can safely tuck in!
- 280g / 10 oz / 2 cups Fine wholemeal (wholewheat) or chapatti flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 100g / 3½ oz / ½ cup Aroma-free coconut butter or dairy-free spread/vegan butter
- 5-8 tbsp Water
- 120g / 4 oz / 1 handful Tenderstem® stems diced
- 1 Large white onion
- 1 Large sweet romano or red bell pepper
- 1 Minced Garlic clove
- 390g / 14 oz / 1 block Firm organic tofu
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil (or oil from the sun-dried tomato jar)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Dried dill or oregano
- Handful Fresh basil leaves
- 8 Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (180C fan) / 400F. Grease a 23cm / 9 inch loose-bottomed, non-stick quiche tin.
- Prepare the pastry: Place the flour, salt and coconut butter/dairy-free spread in a food processor and whiz to combine.
- Add the water through the funnel, 1 TBSP at a time until the mixture just starts to come together. Press the pastry into the quiche tin. Be sure to press it right into the edges of the tin and all the way up the sides. You want a thickness of 0.6 cm / ¼ inch, so trim off any excess. Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Place the Tenderstem®, onion, pepper and garlic in a large roasting tin. Drizzle in olive oil and stir through.
- Place both the pastry and veggies in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. I find the pastry doesn’t colour, but it should be firm and dry to the touch. The veggies should just be starting to brown.
- Prepare the filling: drain the tofu and squeeze hard to remove as much water as possible. Crumble the tofu into the food processor. Add the oil, salt, mustard and nutritional yeast, and whiz smooth.
- Add the dried dill/oregano, basil leaves and roasted onion and pulse to combine. Tip the mixture into a large bowl.
- Set aside four pieces of broccoli and some red pepper and tomato pieces for decorating the top of the tart, then add the remaining veggies to the mix and stir through to combine.
- Tip the mixture onto the pastry crust and press down to smooth and level. Press the last pieces of broccoli, pepper and tomato into the top.
- Bake at 180C (160C) / 350F for 35-40 minutes, until the tofu is firm to the touch and lightly golden on top.
- Leave the quiche to cool before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it will keep for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information for Tenderstem® is based on lab analysis of the raw product commissioned by Tenderstem®. Please note, nutrition may vary due to origin, methods of storage and preparation, and freshness.
Nutrition analysis of recipes featured on the Tenderstem® website is calculated by a registered dietitian using McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods, Seventh Edition, but may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. Analyses do not include optional ingredients or suggested accompaniments unless specific amounts are given. If there is a range in the amount of an ingredient, the smaller amount is used. When a recipe lists a choice of ingredients, the first is used.