Roast chicken with figs, vinocotto gravy, & Tenderstem® in tarragon & walnut butter
15 minutes preparation
1 hour 20 mins cooking
The humble Sunday roast is a tradition held fondly throughout the nation. Tenderstem® is the perfect accompaniment to a roast chicken, particularly when served with this luxuriously creamy mash and indulgent tarragon and walnut butter. Serve up this recipe for a Sunday roast to champion all roasts past.
For the chicken
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 (approx 1.8kg) large chicken (at room temperature)
- 25g softened, unsalted butter
- 8-12 (depending on size) figs, halved, quartered or whole
- 150 ml grape juice
- 550ml chicken stock
- 100ml vinocotto (if you can't find this, mix roughly half good quality aged balsamic and half grape juice)
- 250ml light red wine (such as pinot noir or Beaujolais)
For the mash
- 1.8 kg Desiree (or other smooth) potatoes, peeled
- 30g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 65ml single cream (or whole milk)
- Heat the oven to 200°C (fan 180C, gas mark 6). In a medium roasting tin, mix the onions, garlic and thyme with some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set the chicken on top and rub the butter all over the skin, season well and then put a handful of the onion mixture into the cavity.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180°C (160C fan, gas mark 4). Add the figs, grape juice and half of the stock to the tin, and then roast for 40 – 60 minutes longer, until the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, for the mash, put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 12 -15 minutes, until tender. Drain in a colander and set aside to steam dry for a few minutes, then mash the potatoes and add the butter and cream once smooth. Season well.
- Set the chicken, onions and figs onto your serving dish, cover with foil to keep warm. Add the vinocotto, red wine and stock to the roasting tin and set over medium high heat, bring to the boil then reduce to a fast simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and reduced. Season to taste and then pour into a jug.
- For the walnut and tarragon butter, mix the softened butter with the walnuts, tarragon, a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread into a small dish.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the Tenderstem® and cook for 1 ½ mins, until just tender. Drain and then toss with a knob of the butter. Serve the chicken and Tenderstem® in a large dish, with the gravy, butter and mash as sides.
Nutrition information for Tenderstem® is based on lab analysis of the raw product commissioned by Tenderstem®. Please note, nutrition may vary due to origin, methods of storage and preparation, and freshness.
Nutrition analysis of recipes featured on the Tenderstem® website is calculated by a registered dietitian using McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods, Seventh Edition, but may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. Analyses do not include optional ingredients or suggested accompaniments unless specific amounts are given. If there is a range in the amount of an ingredient, the smaller amount is used. When a recipe lists a choice of ingredients, the first is used.