Chinese inspired Tenderstem® salad
Chinese inspired Tenderstem® salad that’s good for heart health - with grilled sweet & sour chicken, Pink Lady® apple, beetroot and leaf salad served with a Hot & Sour dressing.
This is a great dish for healthy summer entertaining and is perfect for lunch or dinner. It’s great for the BBQ or cooked indoors in a griddle pan and is an easy, healthy take on Chinese-inspired flavour combinations.
Chicken is a great lean source of protein and Tenderstem® is packed with vitamins A and C, folic acid and fibre – plus it provides manganese. Garnishing with seeds adds crunch and short-chain omega-3 fats to the dish.
- For vegetarian or vegan diets, use smoked tofu or large king trumpet mushrooms instead of the chicken – these are delicious grilled
- I like to use a combination of red lettuce, rocket, watercress and spinach for my salad
- To make this dish gluten-free, use tamari instead of soy sauce
- The marinade contains some oil so you won’t need to add any extra to the pan to cook the chicken – this helps to keep this dish low in fat
- To test your chicken is cooked through, take a small, thick piece and slice through it – it should be opaque white
30 mins preparation
8 mins cooking
For the Tenderstem® salad & Chicken
- 320g Tenderstem®
- 600g skinless, free-range, boneless chicken thighs
- 200g mixed salad leaves e.g. red lettuce, spinach, rocket, watercress
- 2 Pink Lady® apples with the core removed and sliced into thin crescent slices
- 4 pickled beetroot, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds (optional), to garnish
For the marinade
- 2.5 cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp clear rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp reduced-salt light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil or coconut oil
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice 2 large lemons
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp reduced-salt light soy sauce
- 1 tsp manuka honey
In a shallow dish, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Dip the Tenderstem® into the marinade and leave for 2 minutes, then remove, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Place the chicken into a ziplock bag. Pour in the remaining marinade, seal the bag and coat the chicken in the marinade. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the salad ingredients and dressing. Layer the salad leaves, Pink Lady® apple, beetroot and onion on a large sharing serving dish. Cover and chill in the fridge until serving time. Place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and set to one side.
Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Remove the chicken from the fridge and, using tongs, place the chicken pieces onto the pan. Cook for 1 minute before turning over so you have grill lines on each side. Continue cooking the chicken, basting it occasionally using the reserved marinade to keep the thighs juicy, for 5-7 minutes until it’s completely cooked through (this will depend on the thickness of the chicken thighs). When cooked, remove from the pan and set to one side.
While the griddle is still hot, place the Tenderstem® onto the pan letting it cook for 30 seconds before turning over. After 1 minute, remove the Tenderstem® – it should be griddled around the edges, a deep green colour and tender yet still al dente.
Remove the salad from the fridge. Slice the Tenderstem® on an angle and slice the chicken into large strips. Place the Tenderstem® and chicken on top of the salad and garnish with the seed mix, if using. Drizzle over the dressing and serve at the table to share immediately.
2.6g of which saturates
26.7g of which sugars